About Me

My photo
I'm just doin my thing. Enjoying this season of life called mothering!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Valentine's Day, Chef Mailei, and Speech Festival



This past week started off with a quick stop to smell the roses. 



Mike, being the awesome husband and daddy he is, bought roses for all of his girls. I was surprised with a dozen roses and a giant I LOVE YOU candy bar. He snuck them into the van while I was grocery shopping. Then, he surprised his princesses with a vase of 4 roses each. Mikey, his partner in crime, got a chocolate apple. Welcome to the world of Valentine's day, Mikey! It's all about the girls. (OK, not really........) Mike is such a good guy,I sure love him



Mailei has been very much into reading "The Little House on the Prairie" books. She was very excited to find, in her school library, a "Little House" cookbook. She found a yummy cookie recipe that she has learned (taught herself) to cook. And cook well!


She made her latest batch today. Just carried on, all by herself. Hello!?! Is this my 8 year old standing at the Kitchen Aid looking like she knows what she's doing? (and do you notice the flour hand print on her skirt? he he he)


Rolling the dough into little balls to dip in sugar.


Flattening the scrumptious cookies. Almost ready to cook.


Into the oven they go! (Told you she did it all alone....)


Finished product. You want a bite, don't you?

She's turning into quite the cook!

This week we also had Speech Festival at my kids' school. Every year every student at PCCS has to choose, or write a poem or speech. They perform that from memory in three rounds in front of fellow students and two judges each time. Mikey and Mailei chose poems about Wolves, which they are learning about this semester. We didn't practice as much as in past years, so I think I was more nervous than they were. I shouldn't have worried, they did wonderful! They get a little nervous, but they're doing something I never did until I was forced to in 9th grade speech class. Just one more reason I love their school. I think this speech festival prepares them for so many things in life. I am trying to upload a video of them performing in their first round. The nerves were in full force, but they carried on! I went back later and watched their third round, they were much more relaxed. (video won't upload, I'll try again later)

5 comments:

PEGGY said...

I will take one if there are any left! Are they peanut butter cookies? I am guessing so because of the fork prints and rolling in sugar thing...ncie that she is showing an interest is what is quickly becoming a lost art..cooking!

Rachel E said...

Wow I'm impressed! I can't believe how much your kids are growing up. We definitely don't see you guys enough.

Katie said...

Looks like you guys are doing great! Wish I had someone to cook around the house other then myself. Tell the kids Great Job on their speaches.

The Z-Pack said...

Looks like some good times and great memories! You have awesome kids.

Roxanne said...

Mailei just needs to stop growing up right now!!! Seriously- she takes after her mommy- and Mike-great job on Valentine's - what a stud! Love you all to pieces!